Monday, February 3, 2014

Poem of the Day: Sherman Alexie, "Psalm Like It Hot"

i haven't had a POD in a while, but this one was just sent out by one of my favorite authors, Sherman Alexie. He's a Spokane/Coeur d'Alene Indian now living in Seattle who- i think but i'm not sure- used to be a construction worker by day while cranking out fiction at night. i have this image of a guy walking into his apartment around 8pm, grunting a little, throwing down his hard hat on the floor with grimy fingers, and settling down at a typewriter with a beer at his side. that's how i picture Mr. Alexie 20 years ago. 
Psalm Like it Hot
I wanted to write "churning
 
water" but typed "churching"
 
instead. The water churches.
 
The water churched. The water
 
Will church again tomorrow.
 
I'm sure this typo has happened
 
To other people but has anyone
 
Ever called it a prayer?
 
I don't believe in God
 
But I talk to God anyway.
 
So, yes, I belong to the Assembly
 
Of the Hypocritical.
 
Come join us. Open
 
The hymn book and sing
 
To the (un)holy trio
 
Of the Farther, Sun.
 
And Holy Goat.

No comments: