Friday, December 2, 2011

baby, it's windy outside

yesterday + all night, we were hit w/winds of over 50 mph. it was pretty unreal + unlike anything i'd been in before- i learned to stop talking when outside otherwise i'd end up w/a mouthful of sand. i also tried to keep my eyes shut, but it's hard to walk like that, so i settled for a good squint. parts of the city lost power; the worst that happened to us was that the wind blew some roof off our garage. small potatoes, i know, but as i lay in bed last night listening to the dragon wind, i wondered what i'd do if the roof got ripped completely off my room. have you ever thought about that? it's not like a flood or fire that instantly destroys whatever it touches, but at the same time how do i put weights on all my stuff to keep it from blowing away? i could throw a tarp over as much stuff as possible + put weights on that, but have you ever tried to control a tarp by yourself when it's windy? the tarp always wins. it's a humbling experience, to be beaten by something that doesn't even have a brain. in the end, i decided i'd follow my basic fall-back emergency plan- grab my document envelope + my laptop + my stuffed polar bear + run to the car. the car seems like the safest place to be in so many disaster scenarios. thank you, car.



No comments: