Sunday, December 18, 2011

tip of the day: packing

my favorite part about packing is figuring out how to do it so i come home with less stuff than i left with. it's part of my eternal quest to GET RID OF STUFF. here's how i do it:

  • pack lots of gifts! most likely you won't get as many gifts as you give out.
  • bring all the magazines you don't have time to read. read them at airport or on the plane and then leave them on a seat for someone else. this is especially satisfying b/c mags are so heavy. on my trip back to CT today i brought ESPN, Essence, and several weeks worth of NYT mags.
  • pack almost-empty bottles of toiletries- toothpaste, shampoo, etc. use them up on your trip (incentive to have good hygiene, which is something i need b/c washing my face + brushing my teeth is SO BORING) then toss them before you go home.
  • bring books that you own (NOT library books!) + give them to someone else when you're done reading them. 
  • pack lots of snacks- then eat them!

1 comment:

snailsound said...

I hear you. Dan and I recently tried some of these tricks, but we still need to work on not bringing so much stuff. We noticed my dad's trick of wearing the same outfit every day, save for alternating between his red and green sweaters. Merry Christmas! :)